Corpora: Sum, the 2nd: Adjective usage: attr. vs. pred.

Stefan Th. Gries STGries at sitkom.sdu.dk
Mon May 20 20:02:11 UTC 2002

Dear subscribers

In February, I posted a query on relative frequencies of attributive vs.
predicative usage to the list. After my summary of responses on 6 April, a
few other subscribers were so kind to send me some further replies, which I
summarise in what follows.

Tony Bastow (tonybastow at hotmail.com) was so kind to let me have a copy of a
small paper of his on evaluative adjectives, also providing some frequency
data.
   Chris Brew (cbrew at julius.ling.ohio-state.edu) referred me to Neal Whitman
(pwhitman at ling.osu.edu) who is finishing up a Ph.D that touches on this,
using corpus and newspaper data.
   Arne Fitschen" (fitschen at IMS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE) provided some German
frequency data of two small hand-tagged newspaper corpora (with a ratio of
more than 2:1 of attributive:predicative usage)
   Ute Römer (ute.roemer at uni-koeln.de) brought my attention ot the following
source: Merja Kytö and Suzanne Romaine "Competing forms of adjective
comparison in modern English: What could be more quicker and easier and more
effective?" (online at
http://www.hcu.ox.ac.uk/BNC/using/papers/kytorom.html)
   Pete Whitelock (pete.whitelock at sharp.co.uk) provided me with raw
frequency data of adjectives in the Brown corpus.

Hoping that I have not forgotten anyone's reply, thanks again to all who
contributed.

Stefan Th. Gries