Corpora: a corpus of sign language

Dan I. Slobin slobin at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Tue May 28 19:42:16 UTC 2002

As far as I know, there are no corpora of any sign language.  The problem
is, of course, that there is no standard transcription format.  There are
archives of videotapes in a number of places.  At the University of
California at Berkeley we have developed a system for transcribing sign
languages at the morphological level, and are working on data of American
Sign Language and Sign Language of the Netherlands--early acquisition by
deaf children as well as second-language acquisition of sign by their
hearing parents.  Eventually we will contribute these data to the
international CHILDES archive of child language, but that will be several
years from now.  What is your student's interest in sign language?  The
Berkeley Transcription System for signed languages (BTS) is available
online at:
http://www.Colorado.EDU/slhs/btsweb/ .

Dan I. Slobin
Department of Psychology