[Corpora-List] Legal aspects of corpora compiling

Susana Sotillo sotillos at mail.montclair.edu
Fri Oct 4 20:16:56 UTC 2002

I have also had to consult lawyers about the use of Web-based materials
for compiling a specialized corpus.  The material I used for my research
(and continue to use) was deleted by the owners of the bulletin board
three years ago.  One of these lawyers explained to me that unless I was
planning to sell their "deleted" material, I could use it for academic
purposes.  I also called the owners before downloading the material and
sent them copies of two articles I had published using their original
data.  Just to make sure, I decided to take a graduate course in
Cyberlaw.  It was very helpful.  All I can say is that things are not
black and white in this area.  Since I don't believe in selling
knowledge-related artifacts (or buying things and software I could get
for free), I will abide by the existing copyright laws in the US.

Susana Sotillo