[Corpora-List] Newbie help - language parsing, Python, Java, etc.

Colin Matheson colin at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Thu Sep 5 08:08:09 UTC 2002

Dale> I think your specific needs would be best met by looking at the speech
Dale> recognition world.  In particular, check out Nuance (www.nuance.com); you
Dale> can sign up as a developer for free and get access, for non-resale purposes,
Dale> to their speech rec technology, which includes tools for writing grammars
Dale> that would cover very well the kind of NL input you need.  Tools from the
Dale> NLP world have a different focus, with more concern directed towards broader
Dale> coverage.

And as a matter of interest, Johan Bos (johan.bos at ed.ac.uk) has
exactly this kind of system running here in Edinburgh, using Nuance.
He actually compiles the Nuance grammars from higher-level
representations, but that's not necessary.  His office can understand
things like "turn on all the lights except the blue one", and so on.

Colin