[Corpora-List] ACL proceedings paper in the American National Corpus

Scott Sadowsky lists at spanishtranslator.org
Mon Sep 30 01:48:40 UTC 2002

>We can only do our best to identify papers written by people who have
>spent the greater part of their lives (most notably, their younger years)
>in the US. As for non-native speaker co-authors, this becomes trickier, as
>you point out, but in principle the first author on a paper should be the
>most influential in terms of the language contained in it. In principle.

With the massive number of US academic publications that are already
available in some digital format or another, do you really need to resort
to papers with multiple authors of unknown provenance?  I work with Chilean
Spanish, and even though there are *very* few academic publications and
papers available in electronic format here, I've still been able to salvage
about 8 million words of certified local academic production without
breaking a sweat.  There have to be a couple billion words of the
equivalent in US English floating around.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott Sadowsky
Centro de Estudios Cognitivos, Universidad de Chile
Spanish-English / English-Spanish Translator

sadowsky at spanishtranslator.org · sadowsky at bigfoot.com ·
ssadowsk at icaro.dic.uchile.cl