[Corpora-List] Is the TEI a waste of time? / Lack of TEI software tools

Marco Baroni baroni at sslmit.unibo.it
Sat Jul 5 18:08:16 UTC 2003

> So, yes, the TEI is important, as it means that there is a standard for
> the data that's coming in, even though corpus processing software will
> typically not operate directly on that.  Corpus tools should accept TEI
> marked-up data, but might convert it into their own format.

Yes -- when I suggested that it would make more sense to TEI-encode the
data if there were more TEI-sensitive tools available, I was thinking
of programs/APIs/libraries/modules that understand and process TEI-encoded
data, independently of how they represent the data internally. Kind of
like when you process XML using SAX or DOM functions you do not really
care about how they handle the data internally, as long as the end result
is what you expected...
Regards,

Marco