[Corpora-List] fast scanner?

Sampo Nevalainen samponev at cc.joensuu.fi
Thu Mar 13 14:05:50 UTC 2003

I suppose that the effectiveness of the software used (both the scanner
software and the OCR program) is at least as important as if not even more
important than the speed of the scanner... I observed that when I changed
to another OCR program (FineReader OCR system from ABBYY), the total time
used for scanning decreased significantly. This is not an advertisement,
but I am quite satisfied with FineReader, which was actually acknowledged
as one of the three best OCR systems by PC Magazine (January, 20, 1998). It
is quite fast and accurate, and recognizes a couple of hundred languages
(including those that use Cyrillic alphabet); there's also spell checking
avalable for several languages. I do not know for sure if FinerReader
supports Arabic script, but at least at
http://www.translation.net/arabsoft.html it is also listed under arabic
scanning software. (See, for example, http://tev.itc.it/OCR/Products.html
for other OCR programs.)

At 11:15 13.3.2003 +0000, Eric Atwell wrote:
>A super-fast scanner isn't much use without good OCR software - could I
>please "piggy-back" on this query: can anyone recommend
>good OCR (and/or hadwritten script recognition?) for Arabic, and other
>languages written in Arabic script, to use with a fast scanner in corpus
>collection?
>
>thanks
>
>eric atwell, Leeds University

( : ============================================= : )

Sampo Nevalainen, M.A.
Researcher
University of Joensuu
Savonlinna School of Translation Studies
P.O.Box 48
FIN-57101 Savonlinna
FINLAND

tel     +358-15-511 70      (operator)