[Corpora-List] Sum: VERB into VERBing

Stefan Th. Gries STGries at sitkom.sdu.dk
Fri Mar 21 18:37:21 UTC 2003

Dear colleagues

A week ago I posted a query concerning literature on the construction
exemplified in (1).

(1)    a.    He can trick the doctor into giving him an alibi. (BNC:FF0)
        b.    They were forced into formulating an opinion. (BNC:CF4)
        c.    He talked me into staying two more days. (BNC:CCW)

As a result, I received the following references:

Alsina, Alex. 1996 "Resultatives: A Joint Operation of Semantic and
Syntactic Structures." Paper presented at the LFG Workshop, Grenoble,
France.
Rudanko, Juhani. 1996. Prepositions and Complement Clauses. Albany: State
University of New York Press.
Khalifa, Jean-Charles. 1999. La Syntaxe anglaise aux consours. Armand Colin
Rudanko, Juhani. 2000. Corpora and Complementation. Lanham, New York,
Oxford: University Press of America. (esp. Ch. 5)
Rudanko, Juhani. 2001 "Into -ing as a construction in English" Paper
presented at the 1st Construction Grammar Conference in 2001.
Rudanko, Juhani. 2002. "Construction Grammar and Linguistic Productivity: A
Case Study Based on Corpus Evidence." Paper given at the AAACL in
Indianapolis.
Rudanko, Juhani .2002. Complements and Constructions: Corpus-Based Studies
on Sentential Complements in English in Recent Centuries. Lanham, Maryland:
University Press of America.

Also, I was informed of the Collins Cobuild Grammar Patterns: 1: Verbs
(Section 17, pp 396-398), where this construction/pattern is classified into
5 different meaning groups:
1) Force: badger, blackmail, bludgeon, bounce, brainwash, browbeat,
bulldoze, bully, chivvy, coerce, co-opt, cow, dragoon, force, frighten,
goad, intimidate, manipulate, nag, panic, press, press-gang, pressure,
pressurize, prod,  provoke, push, railroad, scare, shock, stampede,
steamroller, talk, terrify.
2) Trick: con, deceive, delude. dupe, entrap, fool, hoodwink, inveigle,
lure, mislead, sucker, trap, trick.
3) Charm: beguile, bribe, cajole, charm, coax, entice, flatter, sweet talk,
tempt.
4) Spur: galvanize, jolt, lead, nudge, persuade, propel, seduce, spur,
steer, stimulate, stir, tempt.
5) Other: chasten, condition, embarrass, lull, manoeuvre, rush, shame,
sidetrack.

I thank the following contributors for their advice (in alphabetical order):
Cristiano Brocchias
Heidi Harley
Jean-Charles Khalifa
Anna Korhonen