[Corpora-List] Call for participation

Menno van Zaanen M.M.vanZaanen at uvt.nl
Wed Feb 18 08:37:26 UTC 2004

(Apologies if you receive this message more than once)

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

OMPHALOS CONTEXT-FREE LANGUAGE LEARNING COMPETITION
http://www.irisa.fr/Omphalos/

Intro
-----

Omphalos is the first context-free language learning competition that
forms part of ICGI-2004 (See http://iit.demokritos.gr/icgi04/). The
task is to infer a model of a context-free language from unstructured
examples (both positive and negative) and to use that model to label a
set of test sentences as being either in or out of the language.

The Competition Task
--------------------

We have generated some context-free grammars. For each grammar we have
labelled a set of sentences indicating whether or not those sentences
can be generated from that grammar. The goal of the competition is to
infer a model of each language (such as a grammar) using the training
data. You then need to tag new sentences, indicating whether the
sentences are in the language or not.

Important Dates
---------------

February 15th 2004        Competition begins
October   1st 2004        Competition closes
October  11th 2004        Competition winner announced
October  11th-13th 2004   Omphalos session at ICGI-2004

More Information
----------------

For more information, check the website:
http://www.irisa.fr/Omphalos/
or contact the organizers at:
omphalos at irisa.fr

Omphalos is being organized and administered by:
Brad Starkie, François Coste, and Menno van Zaanen

------------------------------- Structural linguistics is a bitterly divided
- Menno van Zaanen            - and unhappy discipline, and a large number of
- mvzaanen at uvt.nl             - practitioners spend too many nights drowning
- http://ilk.uvt.nl/~mvzaanen - their problems in Ouisghian Zodahs.
-------------------------------              -Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy