[Corpora-List] Replies regarding lexical annotation standards

Philip Resnik resnik at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Feb 26 19:27:42 UTC 2004

Recently I asked:

> I've started looking at lexical annotation standards, and I was was
> wondering if anyone can point me to information about progress that
> has been made since EAGLES (1996) and SALT (2000)?

Thanks to Lee, Susana, Eric, and Andrew for their replies, excerpted
below.

   From Lee Gillam <l.gillam at eim.surrey.ac.uk>

     Try "Lexical Annotation Framework" as a Google search - this activity
     is running through ISO TC37 SC4 and should become a standard some time in the
     next 18-24 months.

   From Susana Sotelo Docío <ssd at linghoo.com>

      take a look at OLIF (http://www.olif.net/), Open Lexicon Interchange
      Format. It intends to be a lexicon and terminology exchange standard,
      and it is based on XML.

   From Eric Atwell <eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk>

      I assume you mean lexico-grammatical annotation i.e. Part-of-Speech
      tagging standards?  Shereen Khoja and Andrew Hardie finished PhDs at
      Lancaster last year which included analyses of how EAGLES-style tagsets
      extend beyond EU languages to Arabic (Khoja) and Urdu (Hardie);

   From Andrew Hardie <a.hardie at blueyonder.co.uk>

      I just thought I'd let you know that my thesis on Urdu is now
      available - hopefully it will be on the web before too long, but for
      now if you'd like to see any part of it (e.g. the chapter on my
      EAGLES-compliant POS tagset for Urdu) I can send it to you by email.

Cheers,

  Philip

  Philip Resnik, Associate Professor
  Department of Linguistics and Institute for Advanced Computer Studies

  1401 Marie Mount Hall            UMIACS phone: (301) 405-6760
  University of Maryland           Linguistics phone: (301) 405-8903
  College Park, MD 20742 USA	   Fax: (301) 314-2644 / (301) 405-7104
  http://umiacs.umd.edu/~resnik	   E-mail: resnik at umiacs.umd.edu