[Corpora-List] corpora studies of the sonorant consonants

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at mail.cis.ru
Tue Mar 30 13:11:09 UTC 2004

Dear Corpora colleagues, I have computed several Turkic languages (among them Tatar, Turkish, Turkmen, Bashkir, Jakut, Shor, Altaj-Kizhi, Azeri, Tuvinian, etc.). I discovered that by the Chi-squire criterion the sonorant consonants occur at the end of the word (Auslaut) more than at the beginning of the word (Anlaut). It is usually several times greater. I wonder if it is the same in other world languages? I mean if the tendency of the greater occurence of sonorants at the end of the word is usual for other language families. I plan to verify it on the texts of the Tungus-Manchurian, Paleo-Asiatic, Indo-European, Finno-Ugric, Samoyedic and Finno-Ugric language families. I am writing an article on the use of the sonorant consonants at the beginning and end of the word in Turkic and the other languages. please, advise me in what journal I may get it published. Looking to hearing from you to yutamb at hotmail.com  Remain yours sincerely Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at hotmail.com