[Corpora-List] Stylistics and corpus linguistics

Ute Römer ute.roemer at uni-koeln.de
Thu May 27 06:57:32 UTC 2004

Dear Martin and others,

> What I am thinking of is principally linguistic studies of literature
> which
> make use of corpora or corpus linguistics techniques.

That's a very interesting topic indeed. Last October I attended a conference
at Trier University entitled "Reconciling 'Anglistik': Didactic Strategies
for an Interdisciplinary Approach to Literature, Linguistics and Cultural
Studies", which raised related issues. There will be a volume of proceedings
edited by Andrea Gerbig and Anja Müller-Wood, to be published with Edwin
Mellen Press next year. The title will be "Rethinking English: Reconciling
Literature, Linguistics and Cultural Studies" and it will include papers by
Beatrix Busse (on Shakespearean drama) and Michael Stubbs (on Joseph
Conrad's Heart of Darkness if I remember correctly) which stress the
importance of corpus-analytic/quantitative approaches to literature.

I am also writing a chapter for the book focussing on "corpus literacy" as a
key literacy in English Studies in general (not only in linguistics) and
dealing with the application of corpus analytic methods in linguistics,
didactics, and literary & cultural studies (I will possibly include a case
study on a corpus-driven approach to irony and humour in Jane Austen's
novels that one of my Cologne students carried out; she obtained some
remarkable results on the basis of a Jane Austen novels corpus and a larger
reference corpus of 18th/19th century English novels). For my paper I would
also be grateful for further pointers to important studies on the interface
of corpus linguistics and literary analysis. Thanks!

All the best... Ute