[Corpora-List] questionnaire

sufinka at gazeta.pl sufinka at gazeta.pl
Sat Apr 9 00:45:56 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am pursuing my MA degree in Teaching English to Speakers of
Other Languages, and I am currently working on my thesis. Below
you will find a questionnaire examining the use of "may"
and "might" by native speakers of English. If English is your
first language, would you please fill it out for me? It should not
take you more than 10 minutes to complete it. Thank you very much.

Joanna

QUESTIONNAIRE ON SENTENCES YOU WOULD USE

Read each sentence and circle the word you would most likely use
in the situations described below.

1. Jack doesn’t have any plans for the weekend, but he _______ go
to New Jersey to visit his sister.

a) may			b) might		c) either

2. Mary received the highest possible score on her SAT, but she
chose to attend a local community college even though she
_________ have gone to Harvard.

a) may			b) might		c) either

3. Kate looked so sad at our housewarming party yesterday.  You
______ have tried talking to her. I am sure she would have
brightened up.

	a) may			b) might		c) either

4. If computers had been available to our students, they ________
have performed better on the statewide exams last November.
	a) may			b) might		c) either

5. A plane crashed near the shores of Florida this afternoon. The
number of casualties is still unknown, but it is feared that as
many as 20 people _________have been killed in the crash.

a) may			b) might		c) either

6. Dad knows that he needs a new car, but mom says he _______ not
be able to buy one this year since fixing the roof will cost him
at least $5,000.

a) may			b) might		c) either

7. I thought if I left by 3 o’clock, I’d easily be back in time.
As you probably know, a snow and ice storm hit the area, and that
180 mile drive _________ as well have been 1,800.

	a) may			b) might		c) either

8. When I got to my room I found there were no towels in the
bathroom and my bed sheets were all wrinkled. It is clear that
your hotel is badly understaffed. Had I chosen a less-expensive
hotel at cheaper rates, I ________ have excused such problems. But
this is totally out of character for a hotel chain of your fame.
	a) may			b) might		c) either

9. I am so sorry for being angry with you these past few weeks. It
never occurred to me, until recently, that you ________ have been
tired, or upset, or just wanted to be left alone when you came
from work.

	a) may			b) might		c) either

10. Mark said Jane __________ not be able to go to Rome with us
next summer.

	a) may			b) might		c) either

11. Our team _________________ win tomorrow. It all depends on the
weather.

	a) may	or may not		b) might or might not  	c)
either

12. Jury duty requires you to remain available for a period of
time that may last several weeks or months, depending on where you
live.  If you had a vacation or a business trip planned, you
____________ need to cancel your plans, or try your luck at
getting a deferral from the court.

	a) may				b) might
	c) either

13. Since you got a really low score on your last exam, you
_____________ study harder for your midterm.

a) may want to		b) might want to 	c) might
	d) a, b or c
e) a or b 	  	f) b or c

14. Circle the letter of the question you would most likely ask
when you approach your supervisor/manager:

a) May I ask you a question?
b) Might I ask you a question?
c) Can I ask you a question?
d) Could I ask you a question?

Consider the following conversation and then answer the questions
below.

Mike: Will you go to the movies with us tomorrow, Jane?
Jane: I might.
Mike: How about you, Mary? Will you go to the movies with us
tomorrow?
Mary: I may.

15. What is the likelihood that Jane will go to the movies
tomorrow? _______ %
16. What is the likelihood that Mary will go to the movies
tomorrow? ______ %

In a restaurant:
Susan: I always have the chicken lasagna. I may try something
different this time, something with less fat, like…garden salad.
How about you, Jackie?
Jackie: Well, garden salad has fewer calories, so I may have it
instead of the Philly cheese steak.

17. What is the likelihood that Susan will order the garden salad?
______ %
18. What is the likelihood that Jackie will order the garden salad?
______ %

What is your highest level of education?
What is your native language?
What is your age?
__

							THANK YOU