[Corpora-List] Grammar checker for English

Corrin Lakeland lakeland at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Apr 12 21:08:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:32, you wrote:
> Does anyone have a technique or tool for checking the grammatical
> correctness of a sentence?
>
> A full parser would be computationally too expensive, so is there a
> computationally cheap method for this?

I do not know of any systems which check if a sentence is well-formed witho=
ut=20
parsing it, although it is theoretically possible to do.  However, there ar=
e=20
many parsers that are quite efficient. =20

At the last ALTW conference there were two parsers discussed which were=20
intended to be extremely efficient.  James Curran mentioned the one he wrot=
e=20
in conjunction with somebody else I forget when he was at Edinburgh and Jon=
=20
Patrick presented a summary of one his student's thesis on efficient parsin=
g=20
(Pham Hong Hguyen).  I know James' parser was right up with the best in ter=
ms=20
of parsing accuracy but I forget its parsing times (a hundred sentences per=
=20
second is what I recall).  Nguyen's parser gets roughly 75% precision/recal=
l=20
at 50 sentences per second if I remember rightly.  While Nguyen's results a=
re=20
lower, it doesn't require 38GB of ram and a 64CPU cluster to train :)

Google should be able to find references to both, and I'm sure there is lot=
s=20
of other work in the field.

Corrin