[Corpora-List] Common connectors

Wallace Chen wallace.chen at msa.hinet.net
Fri Apr 22 22:09:33 UTC 2005

Dear Corpora colleagues,

I am currently doing a research on Chinese connectors, which have around 270 types and broadly include conjunctions and sentence adverbs. These are derived from a five-million-word corpus of contemporary Chinese. My question is how to determine which ones are "common"? Are there statistical criteria (e.g. cut-off point) to determine "common connectors" from such a list? Do I look at their frequencies or rankings? I appreciate anyone who can help me answer the questions or direct me to relevant resources. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Wallace Chen