[Corpora-List] Extracting only editorial content from a HTML page

Hal Daume III hdaume at ISI.EDU
Tue Aug 9 11:02:36 UTC 2005

I looked at this a while ago; the solution I came up with is not perfect,
but seems to do a pretty good job, at least with news-like web pages.  The
key idea is to look for a subsequence of the text with the highest (# of
words) to (# of html tags) ratio.  You can fairly easily do this if you
first tokenize the web page into seqs of html tags and seqs of
non-html-tags, and then do simple dynamic programming to find the longest
contiguous sequence that's "mostly" words.  The only thing this misses is
on web pages that look like "First paragraph of article <some ads> rest of
article."  In these cases, the first paragraph is often lost.  You could
probably hueristically fix this, but I didn't.

 Hal Daume III                                   | hdaume at isi.edu
 "Arrest this man, he talks in maths."           | www.isi.edu/~hdaume