[Corpora-List] Extracting only editorial content from a HTML page

Min-Yen Kan knmnyn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 14:49:14 UTC 2005

Hi Helge, all:

In addition to all the tools that people have mentioned, I will add my
own.  We have developed a tool in java, available through sourceforge
to help people do this task and others where some fragment of the web
page needs to be identified and/or extracted.  We have experimented
with tagging and extracting the main text, navigation links, title,
headers, etc. from news stories on various sites on the web.  Our
software, PARCELS, also partially handles sites that use XHTML/CSS
(e.g. <DIV> tags) to place text.

You can find PARCELS on sourceforge at http://parcels.sourceforge.net

It may be overkill for a simple problem, but if you need to extract
the same type of information from multiple websites with different
formats, this toolkit may be of help.

Min-Yen Kan
National University of Singapore