[Corpora-List] grapheme-to-phoneme mapping

Ngoni Chipere n.chipere at reading.ac.uk
Fri Aug 19 14:02:13 UTC 2005

Many thanks, Bruce & Simon, for your pointers.

Bruce, to clarify: I'm not looking to establish strictly one-to-one
correspondences between graphemes and phonemes as these don't always exist.
Rather, I an looking for a pre-compiled lexicon, if there is such, that will
tell me that, in a word like 'flood' (grapheme)f=(phoneme)f; l=l; oo=uh;
d=d. In other words, a lexicon that spells out the one-to-one; one-to-many;
many-to-one or one-to-none correspondences between graphemes and phonemes.
As I mentioned in my initial query, the lexicons I've seen so far simply
list the phonemes making up a word without specifying the exact graphemic
equivalent(s) of each phoneme.

If anyone knows of a pre-compiled lexicon of the sort I'm looking for, I'd
be most grateful to hear of it. In the meantime, I'll follow up on the
references I've received so far.

Ngoni