[Corpora-List] Re: grapheme-to-phoneme mapping

FIDELHOLTZ_DOOCHIN_JAMES_LAWRENCE jfidel at siu.buap.mx
Sun Aug 21 03:12:00 UTC 2005

Hi, Ngoni,

Check out:

Hanna, P. R., J. S. Hanna, R. E. Hodges & E. H. Rudorf (1966). Phoneme-
    grapheme correspondences as cues to spelling improvement. Washington,
    DC: U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.

A large book with lots of data as per the title, and a very thorough
introductory part, which you need to read to understand the listings, but
which rewards the effort.  It's mostly arranged, though, in 'sound' order,
so each segment of each word would be listed in a different place, normally.
Still, it's pretty easy to use, though for your purposes it will be a tad
more difficult than if you just wanted examples of the sounds in different
parts of the word.  Worth at least a look.  Given the date, a digital
version may be nonexistent.

Jim

n.chipere at reading.ac.uk escribió:

> Many thanks, Bruce & Simon, for your pointers.
>
> Bruce, to clarify: I'm not looking to establish strictly one-to-one
> correspondences between graphemes and phonemes as these don't always exist.
> Rather, I an looking for a pre-compiled lexicon, if there is such, that will
> tell me that, in a word like 'flood' (grapheme)f=(phoneme)f; l=l; oo=uh;
> d=d. In other words, a lexicon that spells out the one-to-one; one-to-many;
> many-to-one or one-to-none correspondences between graphemes and phonemes.
> As I mentioned in my initial query, the lexicons I've seen so far simply
> list the phonemes making up a word without specifying the exact graphemic
> equivalent(s) of each phoneme.
>
> If anyone knows of a pre-compiled lexicon of the sort I'm looking for, I'd
> be most grateful to hear of it. In the meantime, I'll follow up on the
> references I've received so far.
>

> Ngoni

James L. Fidelholtz
Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje, ICSyH
Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla     MÉXICO