[Corpora-List] LEGAL ISSUES ABOUT CORPORA

Mark P. Line mark at polymathix.com
Tue Aug 30 19:56:17 UTC 2005

lebron letchev wrote:

> Can anyone tell me where to find out a detailed written explanation of
> legal issues concerning the collection of texts (corpora).

Intellectual property law is different from country to country, and
sometimes there's international IP law to consider as well. In the United
States, you'll mostly be concerned about what is or is not considered
"fair use" of copyrighted works -- which is a matter of evolving case law
in this common-law country. For more information about fair use in the US,
this resource is useful:

    http://copyright.iupui.edu/fairuse.htm

Check out the section on the 4 factors, and the Fair Use Checklist.

(IANAL. TINLA.)

-- Mark

Mark P. Line
Polymathix