[Corpora-List] LEGAL ISSUES ABOUT CORPORA

Doug Cooper doug at th.net
Wed Aug 31 02:13:02 UTC 2005

I contributed a long statement for discussion in 2003; see
http://torvald.aksis.uib.no/corpora/2003-1/0596.html
It begins:

>    A Statement on Research Use of Generic Text Corpora
>
>    This statement on professional practice is intended to help
>    researchers act in good faith observance of established
>    research practice when assembling or using generic text
>    corpora that may include copyrighted materials.
>
>    The statement does not claim that such usage is necessarily
>    entitled to a "fair use" or "fair practice" exemption; only that
>    the methodology it describes is bona fide research practice. .... etc.

   I'd like to again raise the point that as professionals who
work with corpora, we really must take on the task of
explaining what we do with texts -- not to make a legal
case, but to help lay the grounds for an eventual argument
that our work is bona fide research, and that the use of
texts in corpus-based research should fall within the
"fair use / fair practice" rights granted by US law, and
the Berne copyright convention.

   Best,
   Doug Cooper
Center for Research in Computational Linguistics
http://crcl.th.net
CRCL Inc. is a US 501(c)3 nonprofit organization