[Corpora-List] About multiple sense tags used in the answer key file of Senseval

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Mon May 9 08:13:54 UTC 2005

Dear Robin,

The trouble with word sense disambiguation is word senses. They just won't
behave.

Sometimes, the best that a human can do is to say that a corpus instance is
related to more than one word sense (so it is tagged with multiple sense
tags) or that it is unassignable (U) or that it is like one of the senses in
one way but not in others (combination of U and one or more regular sense
tag.) This is the scheme we have used for English for all three Sensevals,
you can find descriptions in the SENSEVAL 1 Special Issue of Computers and
the Humanities 34 (1-2) amongst other places, here are links to papers that
discuss it

	Best
		Adam

2000  (with Joseph Rosenzweig) "English Framework and Results
<http://www.lexmasterclass.com/people/Publications/2000-KilgRosenzweig-Sense
val1frame.pdf> ." Computers and the Humanities 34 (1-2), Special Issue on
SENSEVAL.
2000 (with Martha Palmer) Introduction to the Special Issue on SENSEVAL
<http://www.lexmasterclass.com/people/Publications/2000-KilgPalmer-Senseval1
Intro.pdf> . Computers and the Humanities 34 (1-2). (Also guest editors for
the Special Issue)