[Corpora-List] Spoken corpora - permission issues

Eric Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu May 12 10:35:49 UTC 2005

I suggest you look for precedents/guidelines well beyond
Corpus Linguistics research, asthese are ore general.

Surely the radio and TV industry sets a quite different precedent?
I have heard and seen radio and TV broadcasts where evry individual
could not have been asked permission, eg outsid news broadcasts.
I have been interviewed on radio but not asked formally for permission
to record and broadcast, and potentially archive and/or disseminate via
internet radio. This seems analogous to Google and other search engines
keeping cache versions of my web-page without seeking my permission.
I suppose oe rationale may be that broadcasts and caches are temporary
and not long-term public archives; but I have no idea  how long
a recording can remain in a cache or internet-radio website before
it counts as an archive aher thana temporary copy.

Eric Atwell, Leeds University

--
Eric Atwell, Senior Lecturer, Computer Vision and Language research group,
School of Computing, University of Leeds, LEEDS LS2 9JT, England