[Corpora-List] comparing two IR systems using statistical tests?

Mark Sanderson m.sanderson at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Oct 11 18:24:46 UTC 2005

For statistical tests, I suggest you use a paired
two tailed t-test comparing the rankings with
Mean Average Precision or with Precision measured
at rank 10. Other researchers use the Wilcoxon test, which is also a good test.

I co-wrote a paper on statistical tests which
appeared in this summer's SIGIR, you can get it from here

         http://dis.shef.ac.uk/mark/cv/publications/papers/my_papers/SIGIR2005.pdf

At 15:09 11/10/2005, Chris Jordan wrote:
>Not to plug my own thesis work or anything :P
>
>I have been exploring the usage of automatic
>query generation based on relative entropy to
>manufacture controlled environments for
>evaluating retrieval algorithms. I have paper I
>am preparing for ECIR with futher controlled
>environments that I have been playing with that
>has resulted in some interesting findings. I can
>pass that along to you if it gets accepted
>(knock on wood) but for now I can give you ready access to a pdf of my thesis.
>

>Timad Kahena wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>Based on two (or more) results list (in TREC
>>formats), how can we compare two IR systems
>>using statistical tests? Could someone show me how to do that?
>>Examples and tutorial links are welcome

>>Thank you,
>>Timad

>>Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger
>>Téléchargez le ici !

http://nlp.cs.nyu.edu/hlt-naacl06/

Mark Sanderson, Room 303               Tel: +44 (0) 114 22 22648
Department of Information Studies      Fax: +44 (0) 114 27 80300
University of Sheffield, Regent Court, mailto:m.sanderson at shef.ac.uk
Portobello St, Sheffield, S1 4DP, UK   http://dis.shef.ac.uk/mark/