[Corpora-List] Looking for linguistic principles

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Fri Oct 14 05:40:37 UTC 2005

Stefan,

You are writing a dissertation on distributional methods?

Perhaps you can tell me what the current orthodoxy is towards what I
understand was Chomsky's earliest controversial result: that distributional
methods applied to language result in a loss of generality of representation.

i.e. In "Logical basis of linguistic theory"(at least as reported by Fred
Newmeyer in his "Generative Linguistics -- A Historical Perspective"):

"Halle has pointed out that it is generally impossible to provide a level of
representation meeting the biuniqueness condition without destroying the
generality of rules..." (Chomsky, LBLT)

I understand this was Chomksy's earliest controversial result, that it created
quite a stir, and essentially killed the distributional analysis which had
been the dominant linguistic orthodoxy of the day.

Am I right that his objection was never really successfully addressed, only
forgotten? I can't find too much about it. Perhaps you know.

Thanks,

Rob Freeman