[Corpora-List] Looking for linguistic principles

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Sat Oct 15 05:24:56 UTC 2005

Hi John,

Thanks for the refs. but are any of these a solution to the problem (...that
the application of distributional methods to language was shown a long time
ago to give us inconsistent results)?

Anderson says:

"The persuasiveness of Halle's original argument really rests crucially on
one's willingness to take seriously the need to get rules right." (p.g. 15)

It may do, but given a desire to get rules right, distributional methods seem
to come unstuck. Can we use them or not?

Perhaps you are presenting generative phonology as the pattern for a solution.
But generative phonology doesn't deny the inconsistent results problem. It
accepts there are multiple inconsistent results and seeks to find a
"evaluation metric" which can be used to select between them.

Do you think this "evaluation metric" is the solution, and something all
distributional methods for finding grammar should use?

-Rob