[Corpora-List] Looking for linguistic principles

John Goldsmith goldsmith at uchicago.edu
Sat Oct 15 14:54:29 UTC 2005

Hi Rob, I was responding to the question about the history of the subject -
I think that was what the original query concerned: what had been said (by
Halle, by Chomsky), and whether those early arguments had been answered or
simply ignored.

So the first thing to be clear on is that nobody argued that structuralist
distributional techniques led to inconsistent results. The Hallean argument
against the phoneme took the form: if you apply American structuralist
principles, then you are faced with the conclusion that the same
phonological rule will