[Fwd: Re: [Corpora-List] automatic definition construction/retrieval]

Carlos Rodriguez crodriguezp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 16:22:14 UTC 2005

Hi Martin,

I don't know if Riloff's work will be useful to you, if you are looking
for classic, lexicographic definitions, since she works on Information
Extraction "dictionaries", or sets of useful extraction patterns for
specific tasks. If you are loking foe metalinguistic patterns, see below.
For a good description of definitional contexts, see:

Pearson, J. (1998) /Terms in Context./ Studies in Corpus Linguistics.
John Benjamins. Amsterdam

Two lines of work that are actual implementations come to mind, one by
Klavans, J. and Muresan, S. (2001) Evaluation of the DEFINDER System for
Fully Automatic Glossary Construction, /Proc. Am. Med. Inf. Ass. //Symp./

The other, my own: Rodríguez, C. (2004)  Metalinguistic Information
Extraction for Terminology,/ 3rd International Workshop on Computational
Terminology/ (CompuTerm 2004) Coling, Geneve 2004.

Good luck

-
Carlos Rodríguez Penagos

CRodriguezP at turing.iimas.unam.mx
http://turing.iimas.unam.mx/~crodriguezp/
Instituto de Investigaciones en Matemáticas Aplicadas y en Sistemas
Institute of Research in Applied Mathematics and Systems
UNAM National Autonomous University, México