[Corpora-List] Pragmatic annotations

Yorick WIlks yorick at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Wed Sep 7 16:04:46 UTC 2005

Dear Victoria
None of your respondents seem yet to have mentioned the quite large
computational literature on assigning speech/dialogue act tags to
corpora and then training over these to classify incoming utterances by
their pragmatic function. This started as an established talk  in, I
think, the work of Samuels et al. in COLING Montreal (1998?). it has
gone quite a way since then with lots of people joining it--below are a
few references to work at Sheffield which gets good results from rather
simpler classifier training than is usual:

Regards
Yorick Wilks

Webb, N., M. Hepple and Y. Wilks (2005)
Error Analysis of Dialogue Act Classification, in Proceedings of the
8th International Conference on Text, Speech and Dialogue, Carlsbad,
Czech Republic.

Webb, N., M. Hepple and Y. Wilks (2005)
Empirical determination of thresholds for optimal dialogue act
classification, in Proceedings of the Ninth Workshop on the Semantics
and Pragmatics of Dialogue (SemDial), Nancy.

Webb, N., M. Hepple and Y. Wilks (2005)
Dialogue Act Classification using Intra-Utterance Features, in
Proceedings of the AAAI Workshop on Spoken Language Understanding,
Pittsburgh.

Webb, N., H. Hardy, C. Ursu, M. Wu, T. Strzalkowski and Y. Wilks (2005)
Data-Driven Language Understanding for Spoken Language Dialogue, in
Proceedings of the AAAI Workshop on Spoken Language Understanding,
Pittsburgh, 2005.