[Corpora-List] fiction dialogue in corpora

Karin Axelsson karin.axelsson at eng.gu.se
Mon Apr 10 10:55:46 UTC 2006

Dear Corpora-List members,

I’m a PhD student planning to study tag questions in the BNC. I’d
like to compare the use in fiction dialogue to that in spoken
conversation. In order to compare frequencies I would need to know
the proportion of dialogue, i.e. direct speech, in a sub-corpus of
the written part restricted to the imaginative domain and book as
medium of text (probably also restricted to the UK and Ireland as
domicile of author and maybe also restricted to the latest period of
time: 1985-1993)

Does anybody know how large the proportion of direct speech is in
this sub-corpus?

If not, does anybody know how to find out the proportion of direct
speech in such a sub-corpus?

Are there any corpora of just British fiction dialogue?

The best alternative I know of is the English original fiction part
of the English-Norwegian Parallel Corpus, where direct speech is a
possible search restriction. Unfortunately, there are as yet no
figures for the proportion of direct speech in it.

Has anybody done research on the proportion of direct speech in
British fiction? There appear to be large differences for different
authors (and probably differences between fiction in different genres
and different languages).

Many thanks in advance for answers to any of these questions.

Best regards,
Karin Axelsson
PhD student
English Deparment