[Corpora-List] Information Extraction from Fiction: Collecting Test Data

S Givon s0560804 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 27 09:14:37 UTC 2006

Dear all,

My name is Sharon Givon and I'm an MSc student in the Speech & Language
Processing program at the University of Edinburgh. My dissertation
project deals with extracting information from fiction (with
Amazon.com): central characters, relationships between them and main
story events. Unfortunately, no annotated corpus is available for that
purpose, and this is where I need your help.

If you are willing to help, you will find in the attached link a list
of very famous books. If you think you are familiar enough with a story
(either from reading the book or watching the film), please click on
its link to fill in some information about it. You will be asked to
fill in names of central characters, relationships between them and
short description of main events.
If you need to refresh your memory you can use the links to the actual
book texts.

Collecting this information is crucial to my project and will hopefully
be useful for more researchers. I would extremely appreciate it if you
dedicated a few minutes to it. Do not feel like you have to fill in
information for the whole list of titles: a few books would be great
but even one book would be well appreciated.

Here is the link:
http://sgivon.tripod.com/Index.html

Feel free to email me with questions or comments.

Regards,
Sharon.