[Corpora-List] CfP: Ambiguity and semantic judgments, special issue of Research on Language and Computation

Ambuguity and semantic judgments ambiguity at essex.ac.uk
Wed Jun 7 11:06:21 UTC 2006

    Research on Language and Computation

                        Ambiguity and semantic judgments

    Special issue edited by Massimo Poesio and Ron Artstein

    Deadline for submissions: 15 October 2006

Scope

    We invite articles for a special issue on ambiguity and semantic
    judgments from a computational, theoretical and psychological
    perspective. Much research in computational linguistics assumes
    that tasks have a single answer: word sense disambiguation looks
    for an unambiguous sense in context, anaphora resolution algorithms
    look for a unique antecedent, question-answering systems look for
    the best answer, semantic role labeling identifies the most
    appropriate role, and so on. Yet theoretical and psychological
    evidence show that ambiguity is abundant, and semantic annotation
    tasks often display disagreements between coders which are the
    result of genuine ambiguity rather than annotation error.

    We are interested in ambiguity, broadly defined. On the one hand,
    there are cases where ambiguities constitute clearly distinct
    interpretations, preserved despite the context. On the other hand,
    there are instances of underspecification which may or may not be
    construed as ambiguous given a context. And in between there may be
    cases where different modes of processing give rise to differences
    of emphasis which may or may not warrant classifying as
    ambiguities. All these shades of variation, and the disputes they
    give rise to, call for more empirical study of matters of
    ambiguity, especially as they pertain to semantic judgments used in
    corpus annotation and computational implementation.

    For this special issue we are looking for high-quality, original,
    full-length journal articles on any aspect pertaining to ambiguity
    and semantic judgment. We especially welcome articles on the
    following topics:

    - Computational implementations which take ambiguity into account
    - Empirical research on ambiguity and annotator agreement
    - Psychologically motivated research on semantic ambiguity

Submission instructions

  Deadline for submissions: 15 October 2006
    Late submissions will only be considered if time and space allow.
    It would be helpful if authors who intend to submit an article
    could let us know by 1 August 2006, or as soon as possible
    thereafter, by sending an email to ambiguity at essex.ac.uk.

  Length: There is no formal length restriction, but please try to
    keep the length of the articles moderate (around 25-30 pages). If
    an article is so long as to exclude other articles from the issue,
    we may ask the authors to shorten it.

  Blind review: Please do not include any information identifying the
    author in the manuscript submitted for review.

  Submission method: For review purposes, please submit your article
    as a PDF attachment to ambiguity at essex.ac.uk. Include contact
    information in the body of the email.

  Further information: http://cswww.essex.ac.uk/ambiguity/