[Corpora-List] Google Books, copyrights, and corpora

Nathan Bauman n.bauman at utoronto.ca
Wed Jun 14 15:54:07 UTC 2006

I'd be interested in hearing how Google is going to stop people from
recreating texts.  My gut feeling is that Google is in the wrong on this
one.

An anecdote: My old professor of Religious Studies, Martin Abegg, used
precisely such a concordance to piece together the corpus of Dead Sea
Scrolls for his Ph.D dissertation.  A private paper concordance had been
produced by the team in charge of publishing the scrolls; a few copies of
that concordance were lent to various institutions.  The one that he used
was freely available on the stacks of the library at Hebrew Union College.
I remember how he told us that the reason he used the concordance to piece
together the texts was because he needed just one text, an unpublished one,
for his dissertation.  After he had assembled the entire corpus of texts
known at that time, he was strongly encouraged by various people to publish
all of them, which he eventually did.  He was sued, if memory serves
correctly, in both an Israeli court and an American one, but I cannot recall
the outcome of either case.  (Eventually, things worked out for him, as he
ended up compiling the index volume to the official publication series some
years later.  A young undergrad, I was paid to check the English
transliteration of names for the volume.)  Anyway, good luck--and be
careful.

Nathan Bauman
General English Program,
Sookmyung Women's University