[Corpora-List] Syntax search problem resolved

Linda Bawcom linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 16 13:24:24 UTC 2006

Dear friends, collegues, and list members,

  Thanks to Knut Hofland, Geoffrey Williams, Chris Tribble and Mark Davis, who all very kindly took me by the hand, I was able to find the strings I needed by using, WITH the BNC:

   And  since nouns follow of then it's just a matter of deleting items such as United States of America (no pun intended)  or Port of Spain. I'm not quite sure whether to include items such as Joan of Arc, Lawrence of Arabia or Prince of Wales when basically I'm looking for frequency of i.e. Clinton of Little Rock. I suppose I'll check with John Sinclair-the 'of' expert!

  Kindest regards,
  Linda

      "Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind." John Donne