[Corpora-List] 'Standard European English' ?

Somers, Harold harold.somers at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Mar 2 10:24:07 UTC 2006

Yes I have heard of it informally, referred to as "Euro-English". In
answer to your first and third questions, I can't answer extensively,
but can offer a few anecdotal examples ...

Using "eventual(ly)" to mean "if it happens" rather than "final"
Using "resp." as an abbreviation to mean either "respectively"  or
"and/or" (as in "tea resp. coffee"). Other innovative abbreviations
include "f.ex." (for example), "a.s.o." (and so on).
Using "precise" (pronounced [pri'saiz]) to mean "to make specific or
precise"
Saying "please" instead of "you're welcome".

None of these are "correct" in standard British English, and some
(especially the last) might still be seen as errors rather than
Euro-Englishisms. They are all examples of interference from other
languages.

I look forward to seeing this list expanded and/or (or should I say
resp.) answers to your other questions.

Harold Somers