[Corpora-List] 'Standard European English' ?

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Fri Mar 3 11:06:01 UTC 2006

Yorick,

your admonishments come too late.  At the Corpus Linguistics Conference in
Birmingham last year one of the invited speakers was Anna Mauranen speaking
on her corpus of "English as Lingua Franca" (ELF)  (cf also Carmela
Chateau's post earlier)

My sense is that there are two slightly different things going on, one being
general the other specific.  Yes, people all over the world use English s a
Lingua Franca but the conditions for a dialect only really apply if there is
a set of people who communicate regularly and extensively with each other in
it.  The one place above all others where this holds is Brussels and the
world of the EU. So examples like Diana's performant (adj) (and I rather
like "the responsible" often (mis?!-)spelt "the responsable") are Brussels
English rather than ELF in general.  Many of the readers of this list are
engaged with EU so are familiar with Brussels English.  Given the history of
the EU and the location of Brussels, French is the biggest influence on
Brussels English.

I'd say Brussels English is a bona fide dialect, but "Standard European
English" or "ELF" are maybe too loosely defined to have much by way of
distinctive characteristics.

Adam