[Corpora-List] Incidence of MWEs

Yorick Wilks yorick at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Tue Mar 14 14:03:51 UTC 2006

A student of mine, Chun-Yu Kit, who did a thesis at Sheffield about
six years ago, applied Rissanen's MDL (Minimum Description length)
algorithm to English corpora as the first stage in a machine learning
project to derive grammars. What MDL does is to decide what selection
of English phrases (taken from a large corpus) and put in a phrase
lexicon will minimise the length of the whole object (corpus +
lexicon) taken together. This algorithm is extraordinarily effective
in selecting out, unsupervised, unseeded, a plausible phrase
inventory for the language based only on cooccurrence in the corpus
plus this very nice algorithm.
Yorick Wilks