[Corpora-List] Phrag installation

John D. Burger john at mitre.org
Thu Mar 16 14:09:28 UTC 2006

Apologies for the late reply.

Samira Ben Dbabis wrote:

> does anyone knows how to install the QANDA Question/Answer system
> (Phrag) on Red Hat Linux 9.0?

Phrag is actually only one component of Qanda.  It's a fairly simple
HMM-based phrase tagger, we use it for extracting named entities,
chunks, etc.  Phrag is a bit moribund, and the distribution you're
probably using, from http://openchannelsoftware.org/ is especially old
and creaky.  If you are terrifically interested in that particular
approach to information extraction, I could prepare a much more recent
distribution of Phrag.  There are better-maintained extraction systems
available, however.  In particular, my colleague Ben Wellner has
recently released a CRF-based tagger, Carafe:

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/carafe

Ben has included models for a number of applications, including
part-of-speech, chunking, and named entity, the latter in Korean as
well as English.

If instead what you wanted was a full question answering system, sorry.
  Our intent was to gradually put all of Qanda onto Open Channel, but
that never happened.

- John D. Burger
   MITRE