[Corpora-List] Incidence of MWEs

Hans Lindquist hans.lindquist at vxu.se
Tue Mar 14 11:59:10 UTC 2006

Hi,

Very diverging figures (5-80%; due to different definitions of MWEs) are
given in the following sources:

Moon, Rosamund. 1998. /Fixed expressions and idioms in English/. Oxford:
Clarendon Press. Chapter 4.

Altenberg, Bengt. 1998. On the phraseology of spoken English: The
evidence of recurrent word-combinations. In Cowie, A.P. (ed.)
/Phraseology/. Oxford: Clarendon Press. 101-122.

Erman, Britt & Beatrice Warren. 2000. The idiom principle and the open
choice principle. /Text/ 20(1), 29-62.

All the best,

Hans