[Corpora-List] Re: [Corpora-list] Incidence of MWEs

Chris Butler cbutler at telefonica.net
Fri Mar 17 09:20:52 UTC 2006

There is now a considerable body of theoretical linguistic work which
underlies the position taken by Rob Freeman, i.e. that we should build our
linguistic models on the basis of generalisations over usage. I am referring
to the so-called 'usage-based model' represented by the work of Langacker in
Cognitive Grammar, much work in Construction Grammar (e.g. that of Goldberg,
Croft), and also the work of scholars such as Bybee, Hopper, Thompson,
Barlow and Kemmer.

Chris Butler
Honorary Professor, Centre for Applied Language Studies, University of Wales
Swansea, UK