[Corpora-List] if + would

Ramesh Krishnamurthy R.Krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Sat Mar 25 18:42:00 UTC 2006

Dear Cécile
Tolkien is evidently attempting to create a distinct style for his
character Faramir.
But surely this by itself does not necessarily mean the construction
is/was "used in British English".
All it means it was "used by Tolkien".
Anthony Burgess invented the word 'rhotacismus' in a novel (Earthly
Powers, I think) and proudly reported its inclusion in the OED in his
subsequent newspaper review of OED. This does not mean that
'rhotacismus' is/was "used in British English".
Many creative writers may invent/adopt styles and usages that are not
necessarily the norm in their real-life speech communities.
Best
Ramesh