[Corpora-List] American and British English spelling converter

Ben Hutchinson ben.hutch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 00:12:03 UTC 2006

Stanford University's NLP group's POS tagger does some pre-processing
that converts British spellings to US spellings based on variations in
the spellings of certain common words and word endings.

As an example of how it modifies word endings, it tags
"sour flour our dour parlour rigour glamour colour Harbour"
as
"sour/JJ flour/NN our/PRP$ dour/NN parlor/NN rigor/NN glamor/NN
color/NN Harbor/NNP".

It even Americanizes unknown words ending in "-our", so, for example,
it tags "nonsensour" as "nonsensor".  Sometimes it is a bit over
eager, as in "devour" -> "devor/NN".

The tagger is under the GNU license, so I think it should be possible
to adapt the Java code to suit your requirements as long as you
resdistribute your changes.  I also think it should be fairly
straightforward to invert their algorithm, although it's a while since
I looked at the source.  It is available from
http://nlp.stanford.edu/software/index.shtml