[Corpora-List] American and British English spelling converter

Martin Wynne martin.wynne at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 9 09:56:54 UTC 2006

I find it fascinating that as soon as we find a linguistic topic which
sparks the interest of everyone here, the discussion suddenly makes
hardly any reference to corpora. Why are suddenly anecdotes, intuitions,
folk theories and made-up examples preferable to consulting corpora?

It's a serious question. It seems to me reasonable to bring in these
other factors and pieces of evidence to inform a discussion about corpus
linguistics, but why is almost no-one consulting a corpus, or consulting
research papers based on corpora? Lack of resources? Lack of tools?
Don't think that use of corpora is appropriate for this question?

Martin

--
Martin Wynne
Head of the Oxford Text Archive and