[Corpora-List] MS Spell checker, WAS: American and British English spelling converter

Mike Maxwell maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu
Thu Nov 9 20:01:38 UTC 2006

Merle Tenney wrote:
> PS and Shameless Microsoft Plug: ... I am amazed at
> the number of mistakes that the contextual speller has caught in my
> writing since I started using it.  I recommend the new version of Word
> and Office for this feature alone.

A question then: the old Word/Office spell checker had no concept of
morphology, at least in English.  So if I added the word "infix" to the
dictionary, I would also have to add "infixes", "infix's", "infixing" etc.

Does the new spell checker know any English morphology?  And if so, does
the user need to tell it whether a new word is a noun, verb etc.?  Or
does it figure this out from the context?
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu