[Corpora-List] Annotation Tool for German corpora/NE recognition task

Michael Sonntag sonntag_michael at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 17 13:57:44 UTC 2006

Dear all,

I am currently undertaking a master thesis in the area of toponym
recognition within German texts.
I have already quite large German corpora for this endevour, and I have
build some models with the help of UIMA and Gazetteers to extract toponyms.

What I am really missing is:
- a good tool to annotate some documents quickly, i.e. with information
about : toponym, first and surname, and other NE´s. This, to get an idea
(prec.+recall) about the quality of my models.
- still better: an annotated corpus. Is there any out there?

To get an idea of my model(s) and toponym extraction, I put together a
Google Map with my extraction results. For the interested :
www.msonntag.de/map/map.html
(quite a lot of data, so it might take a while; results are very very bad at
the time being, but there are still some things to do, so I am not worried
about that)

Cheers & thx for your time, yours
Dr. Michael Sonntag
Univ. Bamberg