[Corpora-List] Legal-domain corpora

Seth Grimes grimes at altaplana.com
Wed Oct 18 13:34:55 UTC 2006

Hello all,

	I'm researching legal-domain application of NLP with machine
learning.  What annotated corpora are available in this domain, either for
free or for a license fee?  I'd be interested in --

- legislation and statutes
- case law
- briefs, depositions & testimony, crime reports, and evidentiary
materials
- court judgments
- patent filings

-- and also in parallel, multi-lingual corpora, for instance that might
have been created in the EU, Switzerland, Canada, and other areas with
multiple official languages.

	I've been told that news-media text can provide good training
material for the legal domain.  I'd also be interested in hearing
reactions to that claim, especially if anyone has formally studied the
question.

	Thanks very much for all help,

					Seth

--
Seth Grimes   Alta Plana Corp, analytical computing & data management
              Intelligent Enterprise magazine (CMP), Contributing Editor