[Corpora-List] starting a machine translation project

Gilles Serasset Gilles.Serasset at imag.fr
Thu Sep 14 12:20:02 UTC 2006

Dear Nano,

I feel very refreshing to see such an enthusiasm from a soon to be
researcher in MT.

However, I hope you have A LOT of money to lose...

It seems that you missed one of the most crucial point in the answers.

IF YOU HAVE THE CORPUS then statistical MT is the way to go using
blahblahblah...

This assertion is logically correct, because it is an implication
with a false hypothesis.

As far as I heard from researchers who really built MT systems using
SMT techniques, they were saying that a 50 MILLION word aligned
corpus was the minimum for acceptable SMT results IN A SPECIFIC
DOMAIN. Most advance researchers say now that 200 MILLION words are
now the requirements.

As a comparison, the EUROPARL corpus (which is one of the most well
know aligned corpus with French and English) contains 28 MILLION
words. So it's about half the lower bound... It contains the european
parliament discussions, translated in european languages. Even such
verbose people do not produce more the 1-2 million words per year...

Of course, you can easily build a toy system, but it will remain a
toy for a long time. And I can assure you that the bible, even with
all its books, is very far from these pictures (31102 verses as far
as I know...).

The suggestion that has been made on this list to develop a system
using a transfer based approach will be by far a better way to go in
the case of a language pair where the corpus is not yet available as
building the corpus will require even more resources than building
the analysis/transfer/generation rules.

Finally, as you are focussing on the Indonesian language, you should
go and contact Pr Tang Enya Kong's team at Penang (UTMK, Universiti
Sains Malaysia) who already has a pretty good mock up in English
Malay based on EBMT (Example Based Machine Translation) methods.

Hope this will help you getting results in Machine Translation.

Regards,

Gilles Sérasset,

--
Gilles Sérasset