[Corpora-List] corpus analysis of loanwords

TadPiotr tadpiotr at plusnet.pl
Fri Sep 15 07:04:17 UTC 2006

Dear all,

does anyone know about an analysis of loanwords in a contemporary corpus in
a (Indo-)European language? What I mean is which loanwords are frequent, and
how frequent, the statistical structure of loanwords from particular
languages against general lexical statistics etc.

As far as the inventory of lexical items, among them loanwords, is concerned
electronic dictionaries can be used. For English a classic analysis is that
by Finkenstaedt, Thomas and Dieter Wolff. 1973. Ordered Profusion: Studies
in Dictionaries and the English Lexicon. Heidelberg: Winter.

Unfortunately I do not know any comparable corpus analysis, apart from
Polish.
For Polish Witaszek-Szymborska wrote a PhD, in which she analysed the
500,000 word corpus for the frequency dictionary of Polish, and published
the results in:
Witaszek-Samborska, Malgorzata. 1992. Wyrazy obcego pochodzenia we
wspólczesnej polszczyznie : na podstawie slowników frekwencyjnych. Poznan :
Nakom
Witaszek-Samborska, Malgorzata. 1993. Zapozyczenia z róznych jezyków we
wspólczesnej polszczyznie (na podstawie slowników frekwencyjnych) Poznan :
Wydaw. PTPN

I would be very interested in comparing her results with those for other
languages.

Any help will be appreciated.
Best wishes

Tadeusz Piotrowski