[Corpora-List] Chi-Square

Joaquim Francisco Ferreira da Silva jfs at di.fct.unl.pt
Sun Sep 17 11:14:26 UTC 2006

Crayton Walker wrote:

> A simple question about statistical measures.
>
> Could someone explain in very simple terms why we don’t normally use
> Chi-square as a measure of collocational significance? We tend to use
> t-score and MI and not Chi-square. Why not? I am not a mathematician
> so would appreciate it if you could keep it simple.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Crayton Walker
>
> University of Birmingham

I have used Chi-Square. Results are good. The reason why it is not so
used is, I think, it is because it is not so easy to implement. However,
Chi-square results are very similar to other two very
simple-to-implement measures:

SCP(a,b)= f(a,b)^2 / (f(a) * f(b))

or

Cosine(a,b)= f(a,b) / (sqrt(f(a)) * sqrt(f(b))

Joaquim