[Corpora-List] The verb tenses used in the literature review of a paper or thesis

Su-hsun Tsai teemsht at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 08:46:47 UTC 2007

Dear All,

My apology if the question below repeats.

My mind is not clear enough in using the verb tenses in the literature
review section/chapter of a paper/thesis, for example:

Brown (1997) says that …

Smith (2000) concluded that …

Wang (2003) has argued that …

Someone said that when I FIRST talk about a study done in the past, it is
fine to use PAST tense.  However, if I continue my discussion on the same
study for some MORE sentences, I should use PRESENT tense verbs starting
from the second or third sentence.  Is this true?

Can anyone give me a lead?

Happy New Year!

Su-hsun

Su-hsun Tsai

Department of English Instruction

Taipei Municipal University of Education